Friday 23 October 2015

Floating bookshop

I love London and we often spend hours just walking around and exploring the hidden alleyways, cobbled streets, marketplaces and old buildings.  It was last year that I heard of this fabulously quirky bookshop that is known as the "Word on Water" a floating bookshop barge on the Regent's canal and so we had to go and investigate.



On our visit it was moored at Granary Wharf near King's Cross, where regular jazz bands play either alongside or on the roof.




It cruises and moors up between various locations on the Canal including The Angel at Islington and another close to the Olympic Park at Stratford.





It was a book lover's delight - so many fabulous second hand books



Its uniqueness had me enthralled


It had its own resident dog and even an old iron stove below deck

  

 This visit certainly came up to my expectations and didn't let me down.

Have a great weekend.



10 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, that is the most adorable thing that I have ever seen . . . what a great idea and I love how cozy and eclectic the inside was. It looks like something out of a movie . . . you know the place where you find that long lost book that carries you into another world of imaginations and unreal adventures.
    Thanks for sharing this with us. I can't wait to tell Steve about it . . . he is a true lover of books:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds such a great adventure you went on Patricia. What a fantastic idea this person had.
    The Barge looks so cosy . I hope you found a few book treasures there!
    A special place.. with Jazz playing too.
    I would have loved to have seen this with you.
    maybe one day.
    love and a happy weekend.
    Valx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful place. Books, books, books can't ever have too many.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this book shop on another blog during the summer. It looks wonderful, and is such a great idea! Will have to visit it next time I'm in London. I always love bookshops! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely idea it looks fabulous - my idea of heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do like this idea very much Patricia - one of the things I enjoy about life today is the fact that although times are difficult for so many youngsters some are extremely enterprising and come up with wonderful ideas like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous place the boat bookshop looks. I'd really love to visit it on one of my trips to London.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an awesome idea for a book shop!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooo, I love places like this. Old books always fascinate, and it has terrific atmosphere. Looks like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Patricia, seeing your photo next to your comment was like seeing an old friend again. My heart actually beat a little faster and I got excited. I miss you :) I am delighted to hear that you are blogging again. This is very special news . . . you are one of my first mutual followers and I feel a kinship toward you. Thanks for stopping by to visit and welcome back to blog-land :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thank you for taking the time to pop by and let me know what you think.